Monday, January 24, 2005

 

Kate's concern about School children

After meeting another new homeschooler today at play group, Kate has become concerned about the welfare of children who go to school. She's heard that not all children who go to school know what is "right" and has concluded that the government should take a serious look at this. Her solution is that all children should take a year off school to homeschool and spend more time with their parents - to learn what is right. And that parents should take a year off work to learn what is right and teach it to their children.

I'm not really sure how to respond to this one. As a parent, I'm pleased that she thinks behavior and attitude are more important than academics and that she correlates spending time with us as important. But on the other hand, I know that this is a much more complex issue. I did remind her that many children who go to school DO know what is right. But agreed that many do not.



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?